Summertime in California means picnics, barbecues, and pests. As you plan your next outdoor extravaganza, follow these simple, low cost tips for picnic pest prevention from Thrasher Termite & Pest Control. If you need additional help, call Thrasher Termite & Pest Control for all your pest control needs:
7 Easy Ways to Prevent Picnic Pests
1. Fans. Plug in a box or oscillating fan near the food and where people are gathered. Winged insects have a difficult time flying in a breeze, so make your own breeze with a fan. It is very effective on mosquitoes, and helps with flies and yellow jackets too.
2. Food Covers. Don’t give flying insects access to meats and sweets. Food covers are inexpensive and reusable. Look for pop-up or umbrella net food covers.
3. Drink Covers. For drinks, hot drink cups with lids can be used for cold drinks too. Plus you can write your name on the drink cover. Mason jars with lids with straws are also a popular choice.
4. Windex. Fans of “My Big Fat Greek Wedding” may chuckle, but this really is an all-purpose product. Spritz ant trails with Windex, soapy water, or a mixture of vinegar and water. Any of this will delete the ant chemical trail to your food.
5. Spill Bucket. Have a bucket filled with soapy water and a sponge ready to go. Wipe up spills as they occur, especially around the barbecue and drink blender.
6. Water Moats. Does the thought of ants on your picnic table freak you out? Fill shallow cans, cups, or lids with water and place under the legs of your table. Ants don’t swim. As long as your table isn’t shoved against a wall, your food is protected from ants and other climbing pests.
7. Yellowjacket Wasp Lures. Use this tip with caution: yellowjacket lures may attract yellowjackets to your party if they are placed incorrectly. First, try to deter yellowjackets with fans, if fans don’t work, install yellowjacket wasp pheromone lures 200 feet from your picnic area and 150 feet apart.
SERVICES: Termite Inspections, Termite Treatments, Termite Repairs, Pest Control and Eradication: control of Ants, Bed Bugs, Bees, Beetles, Cockroaches, Rats, Mice, Rodents, Flies, Mosquitoes, Wasps, Hornets, Yellow Jackets, Fleas, Ticks, Pantry Pests, Earwigs, Crickets, Flies, Scorpions, Spiders, and more.
Members of both the Pest Control Operators of California (PCOC) and the National Pest Management Association (NPMA), Thrasher Termite & Pest Control is well recognized in the pest control industry. We are members in good standing of QualityPro, the mark of excellence in pest management. Janet Thrasher is a Santa Clara Valley District Director of PCOC and a member of the state insurance committee; Garrett Thrasher is San Diego District Treasurer and a Director of PCOC.