Save a Cat

DIY Pest Control Fails #4

An elderly Fresno County woman entered her house to look for a cat after her son-in-law set off several insect foggers to rid the residence of roaches. She inhaled the fogger mist and began coughing. Her son-in-law called for an ambulance to take her to a hospital for treatment.

None of these “blunders” — compiled from DPR’s Pesticide Illness Surveillance Program — resulted in death, although most victims required medical treatment. Don’t be a statistic. If you must use pesticides yourself, READ THE LABEL and stay safe. Better yet, call Thrasher Termite & Pest Control.

A mother in Merced County found a cough medicine bottle in the storage shed. That night, she gave 1/4 teaspoon of its contents to her son. When he reacted badly, she smelled the bottle and realized it contained an insecticide, which a relative had given to her husband.

A painting crew applied a wood preservative to a fence between two properties in Los Angeles County. The neighboring homeowner smelled a strong odor and became ill. The property owner diluted the wood preservative with paint thinner, contrary to label directions.

While cleaning mold underneath the kitchen sink, a 23-year-old resident of Los Angeles County inhaled the bleach fumes and developed respiratory symptoms. He wore a military-type gas mask, but still inhaled the fumes. When his symptoms worsened, he sought medical attention.

As a 34-year-old Yolo County motorist moved her driver’s seat backward, the motion caused an insect fogger stashed underneath the seat to discharge. She inhaled the fumes and immediately sought medical attention.