Avoid Pesticide Misuse

DIY Pest Control Fail #2

At a San Bernardino County fast-food outlet, a customer at the drive-through window bought iced tea and noticed a foul taste, followed by a burning throat and nasal passages. The cup apparently contained some sanitizer from an improperly rinsed tea machine. (Similar case reported in Los Angeles County.)

None of these “blunders” — compiled from DPR’s Pesticide Illness Surveillance Program — resulted in death, although most victims required medical treatment. Don’t be a statistic. If you must use pesticides yourself, READ THE LABEL and stay safe. Better yet, call Thrasher Termite & Pest Control.

A San Diego receptionist sprayed an insecticide around doors in her office for spiders. She got the pesticide on her hands so she rubbed them together. She later rubbed her eyes. Her hands and eyes began to itch, so she sought medical attention.

A San Bernardino truck driver prepared to disinfect his tires with a hose-mounted sprayer. When he pulled on the hose, it knocked the attached disinfectant bottle off. The bottle hit the ground and disinfectant splashed into his face and eyes.

A Los Angeles County worker prepared to mop a kitchen floor when she noticed she was almost out of the usual cleaning product. She mixed bleach with the cleaning product, which created fumes. She developed respiratory symptoms and sought medical attention.

A Marin County lifeguard mistakenly added muriatic acid to a chlorine tank. He inhaled the resulting fumes and developed symptoms. His mother saw him coughing and took him for medical aid.